His area of expertise centres on Optics, and Atomic and Nuclear Physics.
In 1950 he took the Chair of Optics at the University of La Laguna, where he moved to the Chair of Atomic and Nuclear Physics at the Complutense University (1954), the university of which he later became one of the deputy vice-chancellors.
He was Director of the Reactors Division of the International Atomic Energy Agency in Vienna (1961), Director of Research at the Nuclear Energy Board, Director General of Science Policy at the Ministry of Education and Science, President of the Spanish Royal Society of Physics (1980-1984) and the Spanish Nuclear Society. He was Vice President of the Instituto de España (1999-2003), and a member of the National Education Council and the Commissions of Inquiry into the Development Plans.
He has written numerous publications in his specialist field.
He is a member of the Royal Academy of Exact, Physical and Natural Sciences (1975), of which has held the Vice President (1989-2002) and Chair (2002-2005), and is a corresponding member of the Academy of Sciences of Zaragoza (2002).