Ingenieria de Procesos
Mathematical modelling, simulation, optimization and control of bioprocesses
The production, extraction, processing and preservation of raw biological materials (bioproducts) of marine origin constitutes the core of several food and biotechnological sectors with major socio-economical importance in Spain and, more in particular, in Galicia. Relevant examples include industries related with fish processing, waste treatment, marine biotechnology and related downstream processes.
Currently, the design and operation of most of these processes is far from optimal, resulting in low efficiencies, high energy consumption and large environmental impacts. This inefficient design and operation is the key problem addressed in this research line.
The purpose of this research line is to improve the efficiency of these bioprocesses via process systems engineering methods. These methods are built following model-based systemic approaches, i.e. they make extensive use of mathematical models.
- Ciencia y Tecnología de Alimentos
- Tecnología de los alimentos
- LS - LIFE SCIENCES
- LS9 Applied Life Sciences and Non-Medical Biotechnology
- 4. Biotechnology
- 4.2. Biotechnology-based industrial processes
- 2. Food security, sustainable agriculture, marine and maritime research and the bioeconomy.
- 2.4. Sustainable and competitive bio-based industries