Molecular Biology of Gram-positive Bacteria
In recent years the team currently directed by Drs Paloma López and Gloria del Solar has focused its research on the molecular characterisation of processes of potential biotechnological interest based on the use of lactic acid bacteria (LAB), given that these bacteria contribute to the preparation of fermented foodstuffs by way of their distincive metabolic pathways. LAB also have potential as probiotic microorganisms and / or synthesisers of prebiotic compounds with beneficial effects for human and animal health. Thus, the group studies various aspects of the presence and utilisation of plasmids in LAB, including the molecular bases of their host range, the molecular pathways that they encode, whose products have nutritional, prebiotic and / or immunomodulatory value, and the construction of vectors for both genetic manipulation as well as fluorescent marking of bacteria for interactomic studies.
- Ciencia y Tecnología de Alimentos
- Alimentos funcionales y Nutrición
- LS - LIFE SCIENCES
- LS1 Molecular and Structural Biology and Biochemistry
- 4. Biotechnology
- 4.2. Biotechnology-based industrial processes
- 2. Food security, sustainable agriculture, marine and maritime research and the bioeconomy.
- 2.2. Sustainable and competitive agri-food sector for a safe and healthy diet